Gain and develop the skills to assist clients with medication through practical and theoretical training.
This unit applies to community services and health workers with authority in their state or territory to assist with the administration of medication in an all areas including the provision of direct client care or support. If you work in an Aged Care, Home and Community (HAC) and in a Disability setting, this short course is highly recommended.
Assist Clients with Medication
About this course
This unit covers the skills and knowledge required to prepare for and provide medication assistance, and complete medication documentation. It also involves supporting a client to self administer medication.
The Candidate must show evidence of the ability to complete tasks outlined in elements and performance criteria, manage tasks and manage contingencies in the context of the job role.
The candidate must be able to demonstrate essential knowledge required to effectively do the task outlined in elements and performance criteria of this unit, manage the task and manage contingencies in the context of the work role. Skills must be demonstrated in the workplace unless state or territory legislation prevents this occurring with the addition of simulations and scenarios where the full range of contexts and situations have not been provided in the workplace.
Students who are not currently studying at Enable College must have;
- successful completion of the Snapshot Reading and Numeracy Indicator as part of the Core Skills Profile for Adults. (CSPA)
For more information, visit https://www.acer.org/cspa/ for an overview.
and have completed one of the following qualifications;
- Certificate III in Aged care or
- Certificate III in Disability or
- Certificate III in Individual Support or
- Certificate IV in Aged care or
- Certificate IV in Disability
Students currently studying at Enable College must have;
- Completed work placement or equivalent e.g. working
- Satisfactorily completed the theory for (HLTHPS006) – Assist clients with medication
Prerequisite to gain Enable College theory:
- Completion of all the core units and all practicals (including first aid)
How much will it cost me?
Fee for Service
This course cost is fully inclusive of everything you need to complete the course.
Additional incidental fees may include $40.00 rebooking/non-attendance fee.
It is recommended for people working, or expecting to work, in various care and support roles in the community services industry who wish to develop skills in supporting people to self‐administer medication.
You will learn among other things:
- Storage and handling of medications
- Self preparation before assisting a client with medication
- Client preparation before assisting with medication
- Confirming procedures for medication to be administered
- Personal hygiene procedures in assisting with medication
- Duty of care procedures
- Commonly used medications and terminologies to be aware of
- Completing the required documentation
- Appropriate action to take when incidences occur
- Supervision of Clients during their self administration of medication
- Possible reactions and side effects from medications
- Assist/support medication administration according to prescription/instructions
- The Rs (rights) of medication such as correct person, dose, route, etc
- Complying with organisation’s procedures and procedures for handling the range of issues/ contingencies which may arise
- Polypharmacy issues
- Completing medication distribution and documentation.
This class is delivered through our blended learning model you will receive course materials to work through at your own pace as well as attend a 1 day practical training seminar.
This class is delivered through our City Campus, 31 Franklin St, Adelaide. As part of this course, you will have the opportunity to experience real life situations.
- Study on Campus
- Study Online